Monday 4 November 2013

Chapter 5 - Gen 7 - Cello


I get sick of my celebrity status sometimes, no actually most of the time, being a five star celebrity when you have done nothing with your own life to deserve it can be very frustrating, especially when you never get any privacy.

It was never too bad where we used to live, everyone was used to us, we'd grown up there and while we got the 'special' treatment sometimes everyone mostly treated us like normal people ... here it's very different.  We are 'new' Celebrities in town.  Everyone is curious and stare, they want to make stupid conversation, pesters for photo's or autographs, I can't go anywhere without being badgered .... and in my current frame of mind ... it's really annoying me!!!

Eating in the Bistro "promotional work" from my agent, it's not like I need to be eating right now and I definately don't need the money, or want the hassle, but it keeps my agent off my back as I've hardly done anything since I arrived on this island and he's started to give me serious earache over it.  Plus being out of the house keeps me from under my Dads feet which is going to prolong the conversation that I know is coming.



While I'm eating I can feel the eyes boring into my back, I look over my shoulder and see two woman hovering, I know that the minute I get up from my seat they are there waiting to pounce.  It makes me laugh a little, and I wander what satisfaction they get from it.  They are going to ask me for my autograph, just to stuff it into a draw and forget about it ... so why bother in the first place?!  I've never been on that side of celebrity life so I wouldn't have a clue, and I wouldn't put myself out to ask another celebrity for their autograph because I really don't see the point.


I was right, the minute that my chair legs start to scrape across the concrete they start looking towards me, to try and get my attention.  Why me though, what did I do, I can understand why people might chase my Dad around, he's a world famous vocal legend - me, I'm just his son, which kind of makes me feel like a fraud.  I know there have been many people in my family along the generations who have earn their own fame, but I definately haven't!!

Predictably the pink haired fairy asked me for my autograph while the green haired one seemed to get a little irritated with her friend butting in first.  As soon as I'd finished scribbling on the book the woman was holding, the irritated one pushed her aside so she could speak to me.

Scarlet:  "You're Cello Ugli aren't you."  I smiled and nodded at the woman in front of me, who I think is actually very pretty, even if she is a little old for me.  "I was wandering if you could do me a really big favour."
Cello:  "If I can, what is it?"  I'm dreading what might be coming, she could ask me to do anything!!
Scarlet:  "My names Scarlet Peeled."  she held a piece of paper out to me  "Can you give this to Amber please, she's your Grandmother right?!"
Cello:  "Yes she is."  I stare down at the paper she handed me and I can see there is her name and a phone number scribbled on it.  "Do you know my Grandmother?"
Scarlet:  "Yes but I'm not sure if she'll remembers me, I haven't seen her since she was a child, I'm related to your Grandmother - we couldn't believe it when we heard she'd moved back home."
Cello:  "Back home?! Really?!"  I look up at her a little surprised but I'm also wandering if this is some kind of scam she's trying to pull, people will do and say all sorts sometimes.
Scarlet:  "Her Mother - Cherry, she was my Aunt, my Mothers Sister, Your Grandmother is my cousin."  she smiled at me
Cello:  "You said home?"
Scarlet:  "Yes, Amber was born here, Cherry came back home when she found out she was pregnant, but left again with the triplets suddenly, and we've never heard from her since, my family only know what happened to her from reading things in the news papers, and of course we follow your family news carefully to keep track of Amber, Adam and Alex."  My brain started ticking, trying to remember what my Dad had told me about his Grandad's love life, what she is saying kind of rings true but then she could have got it all out of a newspaper or offline.  I hate having to be suspicious of people.
Cello:  "I'll pass your number onto my Grandmother, if you're her cousin I'm sure she'll get in touch with you"
Scarlet:  "Thank you Cello!"


I stuffed the paper Scarlet had given me into my pocket, made my excuses and wandered off over to the park.  I'm sitting on the bench minding my own business and it didn't take long for someone to park their backside on the bench next to me.  Quite an attractive woman with the strangest skin I've ever seen.  Straight away I can feel her watching me.  Every time I look at her she smiles at me, I look away but she doesn't.  She is kind of freaking me out with those shining eyes of hers ... she's a vampire... Oh berry I've never been this close to a vampire before .... I hope she doesn't decide to bite me!!

Lucinda:  "Don't worry Cello, I don't bite!!"
Cello:  "What?!"  it irritates me that everyone knows my name.
Lucinda:  "I don't bite ... not unless you ask me to ... and I know you don't want me to, so you're quite safe sitting next to me"  she starts laughing  "I'm Lucinda by the way, but you can call me Luci"
Cello:  "Well thank you Luci, I feel so much safer now."  I look at her thinking what a strange way to introduce yourself to someone  "Is that how you greet everyone you meet?"
Lucinda:  " Only those who think it."
Cello:  "And of course you know what I'm thinking."  I say to her sarcastically
Lucinda:  "Of course!!"  she carries on smiling at me so I smile back, she's starting to make me feel uncomfortable she isn't taking her eyes off me for a second, I wish I'd bought my guitar then I would have an excuse to move away.


Lucinda:  "So you play the guitar?!"
Cello:  "What?!"  That's the second time shes brought up something that I was thinking about.
Lucinda:  "The guitar - you play - me too, are you any good?"
Cello:  "Not bad so I'm told, I'm thinking about getting a job at the theatre."
Lucinda:  "That's great then I'll probably see you there, that's where I work."
Cello:  "That's nice!!"  well what else could I say
Lucinda:  "How do you like our little island? - your family has been here a while and I've seen everyone else, but this is the first time I've seen you out and about"
Cello:  "It's okay, I haven't really seen too much of it yet, I've stayed in mostly, I've been a little .... preoccupied."
Lucinda:  "So I see .... boyfriend troubles!"  she's starting to freak me out, how on earth could she know that?  "Well, I think that's me done for today, sun and vampires don't mix so if I stay here much longer I'm going to fry!!"  she says as she stands up.  I hadn't noticed the dreadful smell of burning until she mentioned it   "I'll see you around Cello, keep your chin up, I'm sure he will answer your calls eventually!!"
Cello:  "Excuse me?"
Lucinda:  "Chad - he can't ignore your calls forever!!"  Now I'm spooked, how on earth could she possibly know about Chad?  My Dad doesn't even know about Chad yet.  I stand and watch her walk away, half tempted to follow her, but she jumped into a taxi and was gone before I knew it.


I was glad when I got home to find the house empty, not really needing any hassle right now.  I went down to the music room and took my frustration out on the drums.

Music being a very big part of my Dad's life and mine, My Life Time Wish being "One Sim Band" we both spend a lot of time in this room together.  Jake too seems to be growing a fascination for music, he is always down here watching us playing and I'm expecting him to join in when he's old enough to play the instruments himself.  Shockingly too, my Grandmother also spends a lot of time down here - she is quite the pianist and if she is not painting she is playing the piano, and she's actually really good at it.


My phone starts ringing so I stop playing and jump off the seat as I'm trying to pull my phone out of my pocket.  Chad's name is flashing up on the screen, I just stand and stare at it - wondering if I really needed to answer it, even though I've been phoning him and he's been ignoring my calls.  I know hearing his voice is just prolonging the agony.

I just can't help myself - I answer the call but don't say anything.   There is silence for a moment neither of us speak.

Chad: "Cello?"
Cello:  "Chad"
Chad:  "Don't be mad with me ..... I'm sorry!!"
Cello:  "For what?"
Chad:  "For what I said ..... I don't really want you to have a horrible life!!"
Cello:  "I know ..."


Chad:  "I love you and I don't know what to do with myself ... I miss you!!"
Cello:  "Chad this really isn't helping me!!"
Chad:  "What isn't?"
Cello:  "This isn't .... you phoning me .... saying these things ... I .. "
Chad:  "Well I'm sorry, I serious can't get my head round this ... if you only knew how I'm feeling right now!!"
Cello:  "Yes, probably like I am, this is why it's not helping me Chad and its not going to help you either, I think maybe you should stop calling me!!"  It is absolutely killing me to say this but I've got no choice.
Chad:  "Says you who's left like 100 missed calls on my phone!!" he snapped
Cello:  "I'm sorry ... the last time we spoke ...I was upset ...."
Chad:  "Yeah well I'm upset ... !!"  he went quiet for a moment  "So you seeing anyone yet? ... I bet you've got yourself a GIRLFRIEND already haven't you !!!" he said sarcastically
Cello:  "NO!!  Don't do this Chad!!  Why ask when you know it's just going to hurt you."
Chad:  "I take it that's a yes then - how could you?! - I obviously meant nothing to you!!" he snapped quite nastily.
Cello:  "Chad please ....."

The phone went dead again, he's cut me off .... why does he keep doing this!!  I threw my phone up the wall and watched it smash into a million pieces.


After Chad's call I'd worked out my frustration again on the treadmill, had a quick shower intending to go to the park, I still had Lucinda bugging my brain, she had totally spooked me and I wasn't going to stop thinking about her until I'd spoken to her and found out exactly how she knew about Chad.  I went out onto the patio and I spotted quite a cute guy wandering around looking lost.

Cello:  "You okay there you look a little lost?"
Mallow:  "Yeah, I'm looking for Forrest, he asked me to pop round, something to do with work."  he smiled at me  "You're Cello right, Forrest's Step-son!?"
Cello:  "Yeah, that's me." .... and you are very cute I'm thinking
Mallow:  "I'm Mallow"



Forrest:  "Oh there you are Mallow"  Forrest interrupted our conversation before it got any further, Mallow turned round to face him

They started talking about team tactics and work stuff, this guy is seriously cute and I found my feet rooted to the spot, listening as they rattled on for ages.  Forrest now is a Superstar athlete, one step away from achieving his Life Time Wish of being a Sports Legend, he jumped up three rungs of his career ladder by moving here and taking the post he'd been offered, and it feels like he's thanked me a hundred times for making the decision to move out here, he never stops thanking me.

I'm watching Mallow who is giggling like a girl and hanging off every word Forrest is saying to him, I can tell straight away Mallow is gay and I don't like how he is acting around Forrest, he's making it perfectly clear he fancies my Step-Dad.  But what gay man wouldn't, I suppose I shouldn't judge him because I think Forrest is pretty hot myself.  Just as long as he keeps his hands off him ... it would kill my Dad ... not that I think Forrest ever would, but you never know!!

Forrest:  "If you don't mind, I'll give you a workout now, make sure your up to it, the physio says you should only play half a match - so if the workout goes okay then I'll put you on the team sheet for the first half and we'll see how your leg holds up."
Mallow:  "That's great .... lead the way, you know I can't wait to get back on the pitch!!"
Forrest:  "What about you Cello .... you up for a workout?" he looked at me, while the thought of watching Mallow working out was very very tempting - I had to stop myself - women only remember!!!
Cello:  "I was down there not fifteen minutes ago, I'd better not over do it!!"
Forrest:  "Okay .. it's just you and me then Mallow" 

They wander off down to the basement to do a work out.  I just stand leaning on the fence looking out at the ocean and stars and think about Chad's call earlier.


My mind wanders off to it's usual place and I totally lost track of time, I'm not sure how long I was stood there but it must have been quite a while, probably well over an hour, because the next thing I hear is Mallow behind me.

Mallow:  "Eer ..... Cello?"  I moved away from the fence to face Mallow who I noticed had even had a shower, his hair freshly washed and wet.  "I was wandering .... would you like to hangout for a while."  I'm a little surprised by him saying that and I'm in two minds, he's gay, he's cute, HE is male and I shouldn't really be putting this kind of temptation in my path - I swore when I got here it would be woman only.
Cello:  "Oh okay ... If you want."  I suppose I could always test myself.  He looked a little uncomfortable with my reply ... I suppose I could have phrased it a little better than I did.
Mallow:  "I hope you don't think I'm cheeky asking, and don't think you have to .... only Forrest said you've been a little out of sorts since you moved here and you've not really made any friends yet."
Cello:  "So Forrest sent you to hang out with me?"
Mallow:  "Yeah, he thinks you might appreciate someone to talk to and he thinks you'd get on well with my sister too, she works at the stadium but she's well into music."  I start laughing
Cello:  "Oh I bet he does!!"  I carry on laughing, I know what his game is.  "Did he ask you to try and get me hooked up with your sister by any chance?"  I'm still laughing
Mallow:  "Kind of ... awww ... I've said too much!!"
Cello:  "Don't worry about it!!  Forrest ... he's a joker!!"


Mallow:  "I thought he might have been - I heard you are gay like your Dad and when Forrest said about my sister ..... I got a little confused?"
Cello:  "I do actually date women, I'm Bisexual, I've dated men and women, my last one was male so I guess that's why they're saying I'm gay, it's just an inside joke - they say I need a girlfriend."  he smiled at me  "You are gay though aren't you!?"
Mallow:  "Yeah ..... how did you know?"
Cello:  "You fancy Forrest ... you made that very obvious!"
Mallow:  "Hell ...... you don't think he's noticed do you!!"  I'm laughing at him, he suddenly goes into panic mode  "I do have a boyfriend ... actually I'm engaged .. I just ...."
Cello:  "Chill, I doubt he's noticed, luckily he doesn't look very far past my Dad ... I'm sure your secrets quite safe ... and I won't say anything ... hell, it's hard not to fancy him ... if only he wasn't my Step-Dad!!"  Mallow started laughing
Mallow:   "You too?!"
Cello:  "Yeah!"  we both sit laughing for a while, that kind of broke the ice between us and I started to relax with him.
Cello:  "So how did the workout go with Forrest?"
Mallow:  "Yeah great - I broke my leg a while back and I'm just getting back to playing again, he's letting me play half a game tomorrow, hopefully it won't be long before I get back to playing full matches again."
Cello:  "That's good, so how are you liking your new boss?"
Mallow:  "I ... err ..."
Cello:  "Sorry - I shouldn't have asked you that, awkward question, of course you don't want to talk about Forrest to me ... forget I asked!!"
Mallow:  "I don't mind answering because he's actually great ... it's just I feel a little uneasy knowing he's around here somewhere."
Cello:  "It's cool, I shouldn't have asked!!"




Mallow:  "You look pretty fit."  I check the look on his face, it's quite innocent, I know what he's saying but I just can't help myself, even though I'm supposed to be behaving myself with men.
Cello:  "You're not so bad yourself, but I wouldn't want to tread on your boyfriends toes"  I winked at him "Not just yet anyway!!"  he looked confused for a minute, then I think he realized what he'd said
Mallow:  "No I meant ... oh hell!!" he looked embarrassed
Cello  "Mallow, I'm winding you ... you laid yourself wide open for that one!!"  the look on his face is killing me and I'm really laughing, after a moment he joined in and we sat laughing for ages.
Mallow:  "I see Forrest isn't the only joker around here!!!"
Cello:  "I learn't from the best!!"
Mallow:  "I'll rephrase it - you look like you keep yourself fit, are you planning an athletic career?"  he smiled
Cello:  "Naah, I do workout regularly - hard to get away with it having Forrest around, and he has tried to push me in that direction but I'm into Music more than Athletics, I'm probably going to apply for a job at the theatre when I can be arsed to getting around to doing it."  I looked up at him  "I've just been a little preoccupied - boyfriend trouble."
Mallow:  "Awww, Forrest did say you were out of sorts, but he didn't say what - not a nice break up hey?"
Cello: "Not really, I'll tell you about it another time, its still a little raw!!"  he nodded like he understood, that's when I noticed he hadn't touched the food in front of him.  "You not eating that Spaghetti"
Mallow:  "No, I'm sorry I should have said ... I'm a vegetarian."
Cello:  "Well there is salad in the fridge, go grab some."
Mallow:  "Actually Cello, I should really shoot, it's getting late and I need to get some sleep for the game tomorrow ..... with Forrest around ......"
Cello:  "Yeah I know - you have a curfew - don't want to upset the boss - I've seen it plenty with Forrest over the years - in before 10pm, don't do this, don't do that ... nightmare!!"
Mallow:  "Exactly, so we can hang out again on a night when I don't have a game .. if you want to that is."
Cello:  "Yeah, great ... I'll look forward to it!  Just phone me when you're free, Forrest's got my number!"

Mallow got up, said goodbye and left.  I'd enjoyed spending time with him, he'd taken my mind of Chad for a while and I could quite easily see us being friends, it's keeping my hands off him that might be a problem.  Shit, I told him to call me ... I've smashed up my phone.



My Grandmother sat down at the table and spoke straight away which usually only means one thing ..... trouble.

Amber:  "So ... I saw you giggling with your boyfriend - you're gay as well I suppose!!!"
Cello:  "No Gran, he's not my boyfriend, he's just a friend, and it's strictly women on this island - I've got babies to make remember!"  I giggle to myself, I know how she hates Dad being gay to the point where she's preoccupied with it, I've even heard her grilling Jake over his sexuality when he brought a boy home from school with him, she scared him half to death.  I told her what she wanted to hear because I can't be arsed with the carry on I'd get from her if I said otherwise.
Amber:  "Good, and while I've got your attention, when are you going to get a job, you've done nothing but laze around since you got here!!"
Cello:  "Whats the rush?!  I'll get one when I'm ready!!"
Amber:  "You know this heir thing is not just about making babies, you are expected to make something of yourself career wise and keep our respectable family name going, not be a lazy lout just because you already have millions sitting in the bank!!"  oh here we go - I'm a lazy lout now!!
Cello:  "Look Gran, you don't need to worry yourself, Dad's told me exactly what I've got to do ... and I'll do it, I've only just graduated surely I'm allowed some time off, you know like a vacation!!"
Amber:  "And you can stop calling me Gran - it's irritating!!" She always has to have the last word!!  I remembered Scarlet's note.
Cello:  "Oh Gran, I bumped into someone today, she said she's your cousin, Scarlet .. Peeled, she gave me her phone number to pass onto you, I've got it in my room."
Amber:  "Ohhh .... I wandered when they would rear their ugly heads!!!"  she snapped  "Just throw her number in the bin, I'm not interested!!"
Cello:  "Is she your cousin?  Why wouldn't you want to speak to her?"
Amber:  "Yes she is unfortunately ... on my Mothers side "  she looked up at me with that ice cold look of hers  "... and No, I don't want to speak to her!!"
Cello:  "Why ever not?  She's family!"
Amber:  "Not that its any of your business... they are nothing to do with you ... you just keep away from the Peeled's, you are to have nothing to do with them, do you hear - they are not your concern!!"  Her attitude on top of Chad's phone call made me snap, something I'm surprised I haven't done with her before now.
Cello:  "You're something else - do you know that!!!!"  she looked up at me angrily  "Not any of my business or my concern - I am your family ... I'm your Grandson, not that you treat me as such ... they are your family which also makes them my family - and you are just a cold hearted bitch!!!"  I stood up
Amber:  "Don't you EVER speak to me like that again!!!"
Cello:  "I'll speak to you how I damn well want, you're living in MY house remember!!" she's just glaring at me now  "I'm sick of your moaning and criticizing and your stinky attitude towards everyone ... who the hell do you think you are anyway?!  You paint pictures for a living you're not Royalty you know!!"... you are so stuck up your own arse you can't even be bothered to acknowledge your Mothers side of the family ... and as for being polite - you don't know how to be polite to anyone ... not even your own family!!!"



Lyric:  "HEY!!! What's going on out here?!"  Dad yells as he rushes out trying to balance a plate of food in his hand which he nearly lost all over the floor.  "I can hear you two shouting in the kitchen!!"
Cello:   "Ask your so called Mother!! ..... Dad did you know she has family on this island?"
Lyric:  "No!!"
Cello:  "I ran into one of them today, her cousin, Scarlet Peeled - apparently Gran was born here on this very island!!  This is where her Mothers side of the family all live and in her usual fashion - she can't be arsed to even acknowledge them!!"
Lyric:  "Mom - is this true??"  he looks really shocked and she just ignored him and carried on eating.
Cello:  "Well  apparently I'm to keep away from them, because they are nothing to do with me - none of my business or concern!!  But hey - they are family!! - she's just a cold hearted bitch and I'm seriously getting sick of her living here!!!"

I stormed off and left them too it.


I could hear their raised voices before I even slammed the patio door behind me


~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In case anyone has been observant enough to spot it - I've got a mental glitch going on - when Cello is in his formal wear he loses his beard - I can't figure out why either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment